Amy Winehouse's death was the result of the singer drinking too much alcohol, a coroner has said A verdict of misadventure was recorded into the 27-year-old's death after an inquest heard she was more than five times the drink-drive limit. Winehouse was found dead at her home in Camden, north London, on 23 July. St Pancras coroner Suzanne Greenway said the "unintended consequence" of Winehouse drinking so much alcohol was her "sudden and unexpected death". Three empty vodka bottles two large and one small, were found at her flat, St Pancras Coroners Court heard. The inquest heard the singer, who won five Grammy awards in 2008, had 416mg of alcohol per 100ml of blood. The legal drink-drive limit is 80mg. The pathologist who conducted her post-mortem examination said 350mg of alcohol per 100ml of blood was considered a fatal level.
The examination found Winehouse's vital organs had been in good health but she had huge amounts of alcohol in her system which could have stopped her breathing and sent her into a coma. Toxicology tests showed there were no illegal substances in her system when she died.