By: Tom Nappi
Poles taken by ESPN and other major Sports Networks determined that 74% of Americans could not care less if the NBA Lockout ever ended. Since NBA is back, that number has probably increased after the nixing of a by the book trade that would have sent Chris Paul to the Lakers, Gasol to Houston, Luis Scola to the Hornets along with Kevin Martin, Goran Dragic and a 2012 First Round Draft Pick. This trade was completely fair, agreed by all three GM's and Dave Stern had no reason to nix it. But any how here is the top 10 reasons why the NBA is not well liked.
10) The Players Are Showboats - No one cares more about there music, acting or reality T.V. show careers than NBA players which is why all the big super starts would rather go to L.A., Miami, New York than New Jersey, Boston and New Orleans. Perfect example is Chris Paul wanting to go to the Clippers if he cannot go to the Lakers over a team with a championship shot such as the Celtics or Mavericks.
9) 5 Teams Own The League - Going into an NBA season it is well known that either the Lakers, Heat, Celtics, Mavericks or Spurs.
8) David Stern Nixing Trades for No Reason - This all started with the Paul to Lakers Trade and most recently David West to the Celtics for Jermaine O' Neil was allegedly nixed partly because of Stern. YOU CAN'T MAKE UP RULES AS YOU GO ALONG STERN, MAYBE NEXT TIME YOU CAN ADDRESS AN UNFAIR BALANCE DURING THE LOCKOUT!
7) Players Are Pampered Babies - NBA features the most pampered players ever and the majority of them are spoiled, rotten D bags who could not care less about team loyalty, winning a championship and care 100% money and their Hollywood status. Also why the NBA lockout lasted forever because unlike the NFL and MLB not all owners even make profit and could not give the players below 50-50.
6) Playoff System - A 82 game season and half of the teams make the playoffs and the playoffs last like 2 months, that is a 1/6th of a year...way too long!
5) Tall Guys Dominate - Basketball in general, but especially in the NBA is a league that caters to the tall guys 6'5 plus that can dunk in a cool way. Not a whole lot of hope for the short guys with players like Muggsy Bogues, Allen Iverson and Nate Robinson being an exception.
4) Super Teams - Way too many Super Teams as the Heat, Lakers and pretty soon Knicks, there needs to be a salary cap and Super Teams need to be taken out fairly not just by Stern saying NO to deals that do not go against the rule book. (Not that the NBA uses the Rule Book Anyway)
3) Showoffs - Way too many showoffs in the league who do not distribute the ball and shoot whenever they get it and most of the time miss. Cough Cough "Big Baby" thank god he's gone, will miss his hilarious facial expressions though!
2) NBA May Cheat - Refs betting on games to questionable calls in nearly every game, NBA is one of those leagues you could truly make up the rules.
1) Too many rules with "open interpretation" - Kind of goes a long with the potential cheating thing, but it seems like every little bit of contact is a foul, they need to let them play, College and High School Basketball has far less fouls and is twice as entertaining.
Lastly for all you NBA fans 12 things I Like About the NBA:
1) The Lottery is the best draft system in Sports not allowing teams to tank the season as the Colts have in the NFL.
2) The hot stove and drama makes for awesome talk radio, as a lot of big names get traded just about every season.
3) The late rounds of the playoffs usually features great Basketball.
4) Lebron still has not won a championship.
5) Dirk Nowitzki a great player who is not a showboat and plays to win!
6) The Celtics Leprechaun because I am part Irish
7) Glen Davis's Faces he makes directly into the camera
8) Watching Doc Rivers work his magic, great coach!
9) Something crazy usually happens like a player fighting fans or great player to player trash talk.
10) Shaq's press conferences, yes I know he is retired, I will miss those!
11) Tommy Heinsohn's homer commentary is great, can't wait to hear him yell at refs every Celtics Game.
12) The NBA dancers are usually pretty hot!
The NBA reached a tentative agreement this season to officially end the NBA Lockout there will be a 66 game season starting Christmas Day. The Boston Celtics will play the New York Knicks in their first game of the year on Christmas Day.
Women's Basketball Sunday November 27th:
Boston College - 68 Bryant - 42
Women's Ice Hockey Sunday November 27th:
B.C. - 3 Brown - 1
Men's Basketball Sunday November 27th:
Boston College - 57 New Mexico - 75
Men's Basketball Friday November 25th:
BC - 66 U.C. Riverside - 62
UConn Women's Basketball Sunday November 27th:
UConn - 78 Drayton - 38
UConn Soccer Sunday November 27th:
UConn - 3 JMU - 0
UConn Basketball Friday November 25th:
#4 Uconn - 63 UCF - 68
Mens Basketball November 25th 2011
#20 Florida State University - 41 Harvard - 46
Mens Basketball November 26th 2011
Harvard - 59 UCF - 49
Friday November 25th: Detroit - 3 Bruins - 2 Shootout
Saturday November 26th: Bruins - 4 Winnipeg - 2
(Chris Kelley, 2 Goals)
NCAAW Ole Miss - 72 UMASS - 67
Men's Hockey: Quinnipiac - 4 UMASS - 2
NCAA Bball UMASS - 61 Charleston College - 85
Hockey 11/26/2011 B.U. - 3 Cornell - 1
NCAAB 11/27/2011 B.U. - 68 Hofstra - 61
NCAAW 11/26/2011 B.U. - 71 URI - 44
NCAAW Hockey B.U. - 1 Cornell - 7
Green Bay Packers - 27 Detroit Lions - 15
Miami Dolphins - 19 Dallas Cowboys - 20
S.F. 49ers - 6 Baltimore Ravens - 16
Minnesota Vikings - 14 Atlanta Falcons - 24
Cleveland Browns - 20 Cincinnati Bengals - 23
Tampa Bay Bucs - 17 Tennessee Titans - 23
Carolina Panthers - 23 Indianapolis Colts - 19
Arizona Cardinals - 23 St. Louis Rams - 20
Houston Texans - 20 Jacksonville Jaguars - 13
Chicago Bears - 20 Oakland Raiders - 25
Washington Redskins - 23 Seattle Seahawks - 17
New England Patriots - 38 Philadelphia Eagles - 20
New York Jets - 28 Buffalo Bills - 24
Denver Broncos - 16 S.D. Chargers - 13 O.T.
High School Football Playoff Match-ups November 29th 2011
Concord Carlisle (11-0) VS Holliston (10-1) 7:30pm Lowell H.S.
Millis-Hopedale (10-1) VS Mashpee (11-0) 7:30pm Taunton H.S.
Nipmuc (7-4) VS Northbridge (6-5) 5:15pm Foley Stadium
Narragansett H.S. (11-0) VS Clinton (5-6) 5:15pm Oakmont Regional
Leicester (7-4) VS Bartlett (7-4) 5:15pm Lunenburg High School
Assabet (10-1) VS Littleton (5-6) 7:45pm Lunenburg H.S.
Valley Tech (9-2) VS Bay Path (9-2) 5:15pm Wachusett H.S.
St. Johns (7-4) VS Shrewsbury (5-6) 7:45pm Foley Stadium
Leominster (8-3) VS Fitchburg (6-5) 7:45pm Doyle Field
Gardner (11-0) VS Holy Name (7-4) 5:15pm Doyle Field
Nashoba (11-0) VS Shepherd Hill (8-3) 7:45pm Wachusett Regional H.S.
Auburn (10-1) VS Groton-Dunstable (6-5) 7:45pm Auburn H.S.
Hudson (8-3) VS Oakmont (7-4) 7:45pm Oakmont Regional H.S.
Grafton (7-4) VS Southbridge (7-4) 5:15pm Auburn H.S.
Chelmsford VS B.C. High 5:15pm Lowell H.S.
New Bedford VS Needham 7:30pm Weymouth H.S.
Everett VS Lynn English 7:30pm Manning Field
Lynn Barnstable VS Lincoln-Sudbury 5:15pm Taunton H.S.
Tewksbury VS Reading 7:30pm Reading H.S.
King Phillip VS Duxbury 5:15pm Weymouth H.S.
Marblehead VS Wakefield 5:15pm Manning Field
Lynn Walpole VS Dennis-Yarmouth 7:30pm Bridgewater-Raynham H.S.
Oliver Ames VS Pembroke 7:30pm Franklin H.S.
Newburyport VS Hamilton-Wenham 7:30pm Andover H.S.
Bishop Feehan VS Bourne 5:15pm Bridgewater-Raynham H.S.
Cardinal Spellman VS Shawsheen 5:15pm Andover H.S.
Cathedral VS Chelsea 5:15pm Reading H.S.
East Boston VS Blue Hills 5:15pm Franklin H.S.
Latin Academy VS Nantucket TBD
The Chicago Cubs have reportedly agreed with Theo Epstein on a 5 year close to $20 Million Dollar Deal for Theo to become the new President of the Cubs.
The Boston Globe has released an article written by Bob Hohler which digs into the problems with the Red Sox ownership, atmosphere in the club house and accuses certain players of being careless to the team.
"The indifference of Beckett, Lester, and Lackey in a time of crisis can be seen in what team sources say became their habit of drinking beer, eating fast-food fried chicken, and playing video games in the clubhouse during games while their teammates tried to salvage a once-promising season."
Amare Stoudemire and Carmelo Anthony have mentioned that players may start their own league if NBA Lock Out wipes out the 2011-2012 NBA Season.
Tigers win game three 5-2 against the Rangers on Tuesday and now trail 2-1 in the Best of 7 ALCS.
Game 4 is this afternoon at 4:15pm
The Cardinals and Brewers are knotted up at 1-1 in the NLCS, Game 4 is tonight at 8:05 PM.
The New York Jets have traded WR Derrik Mason to the Houston Texans for an undisclosed 3rd Round Draft Pick
Looking for a fun Read Check out Jessica Dempsey's article about the Come Back Kids, The Detroit Lions! Click Read More for Article!
Nelson Cruz hits a walk off grand slam and the Texan Rangers take a 2 game lead over the Tigers after Monday Night's 7-3 victory!
Meetings between the NBA players and owners are over, sides remain very far apart, The First two Weeks of the NBA season have officially been Cancelled.
Colorado Avalanche take down the Boston Bruins 1-0. The Bruins are now 1-2 on the season and head to Carolina to take on the Hurricanes Wednesday Night at 7:30.
The red hot St. Louis Cardinals took down the Milwaukee Brewers in Game 2 12-3 to tie up the NLCS at 1-1.
The Detroit Lions beat up on the Chicago Bears on the first Monday Night Football game in Detroit since 2001, 24-13 and the Lions are now 5 and 0 for their first time since 1956.
The Red Sox are out of the Playoff picture as they lost to the Balitmore Orioles last night in the Regualar season finale, The Red Sox had a 3-2 lead in the ninth until Jonathan Paplebon gave up a Nolan Reimold ground rule double to deep center and the next batter Robert Andino seemed to had flown out to left, however Carl Crawford bobbled the catch and the Orioles went on to win 4-3
And down in Tampa the Rays trailed the Yankees 7 to nothing but came roaring back in the late innings to tie the score at 7 in the ninth, this game would conclude in the 12th inning, where minutes after the Red Sox had lost to Baltimore, Evan Longoria hit his second home run of the night and clinched the Wild card for the Rays.
This is the second year in a row the Red Sox have not made the playoffs, something they have not done since the 2001 and 2002 seasons
The Playoffs start tommorow night with The Rays Heading to Texas to take on the Rangers and The Detriot Tigers heading to New York take on the Yankees
The New England Patriots Try to shake off their first defeat of the season as they head to Oakland to take on the Raiders. Logan Makins Returned to Practice after sitting out Wensday with an illness. Missing Practice were Albert Haynsworth (Back) Mike Wright (Concussion) Aaron Hernedez (Knee) and Sebastion Vollmer (back)
Tim Thomas will make his Preseason debut for Boston as the Bruins take on the Senotars and Nathan Horton is expected back in the lineup for the first time since suffering a concussion in the Stanley Cup Playoffs agasint Vancuver. The Regular Season Kicks off one week from tonight as the Bruins open up their season with a three game homestand againts the Philadelphia Flyers, Tampa Bay Lightning, and Colarado Avalanche
NBA commissioner David Stern is planning to threaten players with the cancellation of the entire 2011-12 season if the sides haven't made major progress toward a deal by the end of the weekend. The Players view this as just a negotiating tactic.
One NBA player with Job Security however may be LA Laker Kobe Bryant who said that if the NBA lockout holds over into the season and games are lost, it quote "Very Possible" that he will play in the Italian Basketball Leauge team Virtus Bologna. The Team is offerning 2.5 million dollars for Kobe to play 10 games over 40 days.
This has been Craig D'Alessandro with your Sports Report catch the Sports Blast on www.masportsweb.com
This is Craig D’Alessandro with your SPORTS BLAST Update, Tune into the SPORTS BLAST on MASPORTSWEB.COM and tonight on www.thelook247.com 8-midnight/et
The Boston Red Sox dropped 3 of a 4 game series to the Baltimore Orioles. Wednesday’s starter Josh Beckett went 7 and one third innings, giving up 6 runs, 4 of which come off the bat of Orioles’ slugging first baseman Mark Reynolds.
With the loss, the Red Sox Record in September falls to 5 and 16, the Sox get a much needed day off before a Pivotal 3 game series with the AL East Champion New York Yankees, who clinched the title with a day-night double header sweep against the Tampa Bay Rays.
Current Standings in the Wild Card: The Red Sox led by 2 ½ games over the Tampa Bay Rays and the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim.
The Boston Herald is reporting that The Red Sox have tried for the last week to acquire New York Mets pitcher Chris Capuano to pitch Sunday’s series finale against the Yankees. If Capuano is acquired, he would be ineligible to pitch in the Post Season, a deal is not expected.
The New England Patriots head to Buffalo this Sunday to play the Surprise 2-0 Bills. Tom Brady will look to keep his stellar start to the season alive against a team he has fared very well against in his career with a current 17 game winning streak against the division Rival.
The Patriots announces some roster moves this week, including placing Dan Koppen on the season ending injured reserve. The 32 year old center broke his fibula in the season opener against the Miami Dolphins, The Patriots were hoping to get Koppen back late in the season, but with Dan Connelly filling in, the Pats did not want an injured player take up a spot on the 53 man roster.
Other injures include tight end Aaron Hernandez who is out from anywhere from 2-6 weeks with an MCL injury and punter Zoltan Mesko, who injured his knee in the win against the Chargers, he has since returned to practice and Safety Patrick Chung underwent thumb Surgery earlier this week, his status for the Game against the Bills is uncertain
Getting their first game action since winning the Stanley Cup, the Boston Bruins opened up their Pre-season dropping the first game to the Ottawa Senators in a 2-1 overtime loss.
October 2 is officially the final day a New NBA collective Bargaining Agreement can be reached without the NBA losing out on a full season. NBA players and owners are scheduled to meet tonight but a deal is not expected anytime soon.
This is Craig D'Alessandro With your Sports Blast Update, listen to the Sports Blast on MASportsweb.com and all new episode on www.thelook247.com 8pm/et
The New England Patriots got back to practice as they prepare for their home opener Sunday against the San Diego Chargers. The Patriots are coming off a Monday night game that saw them defeat Division rival Miami Dolphins 38-24.
The Red Sox split a two game series with Toronto this week and now welcome The Tampa Bay Rays into Fenway Park for a pivotal 4 game series. The Red Sox only led the wild card postseason slot by 4 games.
Marc Savard's name will appear on the Stanley Cup along with the rest of the 2010-11 Boston Bruins after an appeal to the NHL was granted
Savard played in just 25 games due to multiple concussions. Players usually need to play in at least 41 games or the Stanley Cup finals to get their name engraved. Savard is not expected to play in the 2011-12 season
Brad Marchand has signed a two-year, $5 million contract with the Boston Bruins.
The 23-year-old winger will earn $2 million in 2011-12 and $3 million in 2012-13. Marchand burst onto the NHL scene with 21 goals and 20 assists in 77 games in his full season last year
Meetings between the NBA players and NBA owners didn't go well this week, as the owners are sticking to their original position (hard salary cap), leaving the two sides very far apart. The players are seeking a more flexible salary cap so the players can make more revenue.
BEIJING -- If there is a lockout players such as Kobe Bryant, Carmelo Anthony and Chris Paul would not be able to participate in the CBA (Chinese Basketball Association) as they are currently contracted with NBA teams, the CBA will only allow Free Agents to play for teams in the league.
Although a few NBA players including Kobe, Carmelo and Chris Paul have expressed interest in playing in China and could be a huge media gainer for the Chinese Basketball Association, they will not be welcome. Players who want to play in the CBA must commit for the entire season in China, the Xinhua News Agency reported. Xinhua said more restrictions would be announced before the start of the Chinese season on Thursday Nov. 20th. It reported contracts would be designed to discourage players from ducking out for dubious reasons, such as suspect injuries or unverified family problems at home. CBA officials could not be reached immediately for comment.
Read More on www.espn.com
Copyright 2011 Massachusetts Sports Web