Here is the Week 2 Power Rankings Based on the way Week 1 of the NFL Season Went (#) represents Last Week Ranking
32 (31) Miami Dolphins (0-1) - Even worse than I thought, they might win 1 or 2 at most.
31 (32) Cleveland Browns (0-1) - Gave the Eagles a tough run, the defense looks pretty good for Cleveland but they have nothing offensively.
30 (30) Jacksonville Jaguars (0-1) - If you can't beat the Vikings good luck beating almost anyone.
29 (27) Seattle Seahawks (0-1) - Seattle could not keep up with an Arizona team with no offense...ick, perhaps they should have kept T.O.
28 (29) Arizona Cardinals (1-0) - They beat the Seahawks, still a lot to prove in Arizona.
27 (28) Minnesota Vikings (1-0) - They had a nice win against the Jags, but then again it was the Jags.
26 (26) Kansas City Chiefs (0-1) - The Chiefs defense looked awful against the Falcons but perhaps some promising signs on the offense.
25 (15) Buffalo Bills (0-1) The Bills drop 10 spots this week because their defense looked miserable against a scrappy Jets offense.
24 (22) Tennessee Titans (0-1) - The Titans looked miserable against the Patriots on both sides of the ball, it will be interesting to see what adjustments they make as next week comes.
23 (24) St. Louis Rams (0-1) - The Rams gave the Lions a run and played well on both sides of the ball perhaps a sign of good things to come for St. Louis.
22 (23) Oakland Raiders (0-1) The Raiders kept it close with the Chargers, but what continues to hurt the Chargers is the lack of discipline on their defense and it has cost the Raiders countless yards.
21 (20) Indianapolis Colts (0-1) - The Colts played the Bears in week 1 so I will give them a break and who expects the 1st game for a new quarterback to go well. Luck will get better, give it time.
20 (18) Cincinnati Bengals (0-1) The Bengals defense was completely garbage against the Ravens and got tired out and blown out.
19 (16) Carolina Panthers (0-1) - Panthers fans should be a bit concerned after a loss to the Bucs, especially with Cam Newton in his sophomore season, there is just something about sophomore starters.
18 (25) Tampa Bay Buccaneers (1-0) - After a nice win against Carolina perhaps Josh Freeman and the Bucs are back on track, there defense looked solid.
17 (11) Philadelphia Eagles (1-0) - The Eagles had a tough go at it with the Browns and even with so much talent on offense they struggled, if Vick goes down which always has a 50-50 shot the Eagles could be in big trouble.
16 (19) New York Jets (1-0) - The Jets crushed the Bills and dominated an awful defense and looked good but will have to get some W's against better defense to prove there not the same team that fell apart last season
15 (13) New Orleans Saints (0-1) - RG3 completely owned the Saints defense and Drew Brees will need a defense if New Orleans plans to win anything
14 (21) Washington Redskins (1-0) - RG3 could perhaps be better than anyone expected he was a powerhouse against the Saints throwing 19 for 26, 320 Yards and 2 touchdowns, the Redskins running game also looks like it could be a factor this year.
13 (8) Detroit Lions (1-0) - The Lions offense looked solid against the Rams, but the defense brings up big questions for Detroit, a little too close for comfort against the Rams this week.
12 (12) S.D. Chargers (1-0) - The Chargers had a nice game against the Raiders and the brand new running game looked good while Rivers looked solid, so the Chargers should be a threat all season long, but a lot of new faces for a deep playoff run.
11 (17) Dallas Cowboys (1-0) - The Cowboys got a great division win against the Giants Wednesday Night but early in the season the Cowboys have always been good, let's see if they can keep it up.
10 (10) Atlanta Falcons (1-0) - The Falcons crushed the Chiefs and the offense was terrific but let's face it, it was the Chiefs they beat. Show me more!
9 (9) Chicago Bears (1-0) - The Bears offense looked great against the Colts, and the O-Line appears to have gotten better but they must beat a better defense to move up.
8 (5) Pittsburgh Steelers (0-1) - The Broncos gave the Steelers a beat down and Peyton got the best of the Pittsburgh defense. The big questions for Pittsburgh is can their aging defense still keep up with the elite Qb's.
7 (7) Baltimore Ravens (1-0) - The Ravens looked good against the Bengals and Flacco was throwing bullets, we will see if they can keep it up but Flacco looks as if he may have improved with the passing game.
6 (14) Denver Broncos (1-0) - Peyton looked like vintage Peyton Manning on the field against the Steelers and if the Denver defense can play as strong as they did Sunday, Denver can beat anyone.
5 (4) Green Bay Packers (0-1) - The Packers defense still looked to have some kinks against Alex Smith and the 49ers but playing perhaps the toughest defense in the league in week 1 is always tough.
4 (1) New York Giants (0-1) - The Giants move down this week as they lost week 1 against the Cowboys, The Giants should be okay but Dallas seemed to have a solid formula to shut down Eli Manning.
3 (3) Houston Texans (1-0) - The Texans crushed Miami, but it was Miami. I am looking forward to seeing the Texans against a better offense. They did look terrific on both sides of the ball however.
2 (6) S.F. 49ers (1-0) - If you can put up 40 against the Packers and beat them in week 1 that makes you the current best in the NFC in my book. Alex Smith seems to have improved and Randy Moss appears that he will be a threat for the 49ers this year.
1 (2) New England Patriots (1-0) - I know they played a Titans team with a new Quarterback but the Patriots looked solid on both sides of the ball and if Brady has a good defense this year look out!
The NFL is back and based on last season, training camp and all the roster moves here is this seasons power rankings!
32) Cleveland Browns - The Browns have an extremely loyal fan base but they will continue to be terrible for years to come sorry Cleveland.
31) Miami Dolphins - They have no Quarterback, Wide Receivers or Running backs and on top of that they have no defense and pretty much no team. The Dolphins will sink fast.
30) Jacksonville Jaguars - Maurice Jones Drew is all they have and he does not even want to be there.
29) Arizona Cardinals - The Cardinals will likely start John Skelton and will not have to many wins with a slim offense and a very shaky defense.
28) Minnesota Vikings - The Vikings will need Adrian Peterson to be a monster this season as Joe Webb and Toby Gerhart are their Qb's. They do have hope but it is very little hope in a tough NFC North.
27) Seattle Seahawks - The Seahawks are in the weakest division in the NFL so who knows maybe they will get a playoff run if the 49ers somehow fall apart. Matt Flynn should give the Seahawks a decent QB.
26) Kansas City Chiefs - Matt Cassel has shown the past couple years to not quite be what the Chiefs hoped, expect Brady Quinn or Alex Tanney to give Cassel a run for his job if the Chiefs season starts out rough.
25) Tampa Bay Buccaneers - Josh Freeman had a rough year last year but a very good first year, so the Bucs season will really rely on how Freeman plays in his 3rd year.
24) St. Louis Rams - The Rams could be a surprise this year if Sam Bradford and Steven Jackson can step it up, last year Bradford threw a ridiculous amount of interceptions and like Freeman had a bad Sophomore year after a terrific first season.
23) Oakland Raiders - You never know what you are going to get out of the Raiders, they usually start off strong but fall apart because of disciplinary problems on their defense. Last year McFadden faced numerous injuries and the Raiders never were able to overcome it. If Carson Palmer is able to go back to his prime they could have a solid season and be competitive but don't expect a playoff birth anytime soon in Oakland.
22) Tennessee Titans - The Titans will likely end up starting Jake Locker over Hasselbeck to bring in the youth as they know Hasselbeck's time is limited as a legit starter. The Titans season will depend on if Chris Johnson can be more consistent with the running game and if Kenny Britt can stay out of jail or off the IR.
21) Washington Redskins - The Skins actually have hope this year and finally may have a QB as Robert Griffen III is set to start and with Pierre Garcon on the receiving core and a strong defense, the Skins may be a competitive team this year but don't expect a playoff birth as they are in the same division as Philly, Dallas and the Giants but within the next couple years look out for the Redskins they have a big pay role and are starting to put together a pretty solid team.
20) Indianapolis Colts - The Colts will be a wait and see team this year but should give the Texans a run for the division as Andrew Luck looks to be a solid QB that makes smart decisions. I don't think it will take Luck long to run the Colts offense and within the next couple years the Colts should be back to a competitive team within the AFC.
19) New York Jets - I may be ranking them too high here considering they went 8 and 8 last year and looked terrible in preseason but Rex Ryan knows how to run a defense so perhaps the Jets will be competitive and maybe Tim Tebow will play a role in their running game cough cough I mean as a QB and help the Jets but don't count on a playoff birth for the Jets.
18) Cincinnati Bengals - The Bengals did a terrific job last year getting a playoff birth under QB Andy Dalton and should be competitive this year as they have a solid running game and a pretty good defense but the fact they are in the same division as Baltimore and Pittsburgh does not help their cause.
17) Dallas Cowboys - I have lost faith that Romo can be clutch, I just don't see it happening lookout for another collapse by America's Team.
16) Carolina Panthers - Thats right Panthers at the half way mark of my rankings and it's for one reason CAM NEWTON! Look out NFC!
15) Buffalo Bills - I have high hopes for the Bills this year and they should be in the run for a wild card. If Ryan Fitzpatrick and the Bills offense can do what they did last year in the first half all season long they will be good. This year the Bills also added some defensive pieces such as Mario Williams that should help their defense quickly go from terrible to pretty good.
14) Denver Broncos - Peyton Manning will be the key this season for the Broncos. The big question is will Peyton be what he used to be or a shadow of his old self. The defense is not to strong in Denver and the receiving core is decent at best so it will certainly be interesting to see what Peyton can do.
13) New Orleans Saints - Despite being without head coach Sean Payton and a number of players such as Jonathan Vilma due to Bounty Gate, they will be a good team and a threat to win the NFC South because they have Drew Brees and he can run any offense.
12) San Diego Chargers - The Chargers performed well below expectations last year, I can't imagine they will be an 8 and 8 team this year but this year they have Peyton Manning in their division.
11) Philadelphia Eagles - The Eagles have a terrific all around team but the so called "Dream Team" was plagued by injuries last year and with Vick already getting shook up once in the preseason don't count on the Eagles being a Super Bowl contender.
10) Atlanta Falcons - The Falcons have a great shot at making the playoffs and even winning the NFC South but the question is can Matt Ryan get past the first round and unfortunately I have to say the B.C. Alum will not because he is a choke in the playoffs. Prove me wrong Matt I am rooting for you!
9) Chicago Bears - I have a feeling the Bears are going to be awesome this year because Jay Cutler finally has a solid offensive line and the Bears defense should be great this year if they can stay healthy.
8) Detroit Lions - The big question with Lions this year as it has been for the past couple seasons is can Matt Stafford stay healthy. The Lions have an improved defense and could be a very competitive team if Stafford can stay healthy. Another big concern for the Lions is Jahvid Best, he will most likely be out the first 6 games of the season so it will depend if the running game will be okay without him and it is certainly a big question mark.
7) Baltimore Ravens - The Ravens will be a playoff contender and have a solid season but their defense is another year older and they are still starting Joe Flacco. Ray Rice and the defense will be key for the Ravens.
6) San Francisco 49ers - The 49ers were the 2nd best team in the NFC last year and with their hard hitting incredible defense that could be the case this year. The edition of Randy Moss could also help out Alex Smith, it should be a very interesting season in 49er land.
5) Pittsburgh Steelers - The Steelers after this season will have serious contract issues as they did in this preseason but since they got their biggest receiving threat in Mike Wallace back, Big Ben and the Steelers should once again be a tough team to beat.
4) Green Bay Packers - The Packers had a terrific draft upgrading their defense and should be a very solid team all around, with Aaron Rodgers having the majority of his receiving core back look out for the Packers.
3) Houston Texans - Last year the Texans fell in the playoffs because of a season ending injury to Matt Schaub but with everyone back healthy the Texans should once again be one of the best all around teams in the NFL.
2) New England Patriots - The Patriots had a terrific draft and upgraded their defense significantly. They also added Brandon Lloyd to Brady's arsenal of receiving weapons so the Patriots should once again take the AFC East and make a deep post season run despite being the youngest Patriots team ever under Belichick.
1) New York Giants - Despite going 9 and 7 last season, the Giants won the Super Bowl, you must dethrone the champs to take the number one spot on my NFL Power Rankings.
Read More for Craig's Power Rankings
By: Tom Nappi
Well if you read my article, I was wrong about just about everything once again proving why the NFL is the best league on earth and the playoffs are the most fascinating.
Here is what I said in my last article that was completely False because I am willing to admit my faults:
I ranked Denver 12th in the playoff rankings last week and said this: "Tim Tebow has been revealed for what he truly is, an average Running Back at the Q.B. position, there is no way I can see the Broncos beating the Steelers in the 1st Round therefore they are ranked last."
Clearly that statement was False as Tim Tebow threw for 316 yards and had 2 touchdowns including a 80 yard game winning TD pass in the opening seconds of over time too Demaryius Thomas.
I ranked Houston 11th in the playoff rankings and said this: "The Texans have a good shot to upset the Bengals in the first round but after that, not to much of a chance at anything with T.J. Yates as their starting QB because Schaub is down, but look out next year."
I gave the Texans the benefit of the doubt against the Bengals but T.J. Yates is better than I thought and the Texans defense gives them a legitimate shot to beat the Ravens next Sunday if Flacco plays bad.
To Sum up from last week, if you want to see what else I said read the damn article it's 4 down from this one but I was half right about the Giants but I did say "They are too much of a shaky team to beat good opponents" This is kind of false, the Giants have a shot to beat the Packers next week, especially if Eli plays like he did against the Falcons and Jason Pierre-Paul is his usual self, I am picking Packers but upset alert is officially in affect on this one. The Bengals I was less than half right on but shame on me for crediting a team that is now 0 and 8 against opponents above .500, Bengals cannot beat good teams and will not be even close to a contender next year, this year was a fluke, they beat a bunch of tomato cans and made the playoffs. I think Andy Dalton will eventually be a good QB but the Bengals have a lot of show and tell to do next year in order to make me think differently.
Games This Week (My Picks are in Bold):
Sat 4:30pm New Orleans Saints @ S.F. 49ers
Sat 8:00pm Denver Broncos @ New England Patriots
Sun 1:00pm Houston Texans @ Baltimore Ravens
Sun 4:30pm New York Giants @ Green Bay Packers
Without further or do here is playoff week 2 Power Rankings of the Final 8, by the way do not take my advice into consideration while betting, there is a reason I do not bet anymore except on Super Bowl squares, I am damn good at those!!!
(#) - Last Week's ranking
8-(5) S.F. 49ers (13-3) - The 49ers have a shot to beat the Saints next week with there amazing defense, but with the way Drew Brees is playing and the Saints are playing overall, don't count on it, then again remember I am wrong a lot, but so is Peter King!!
7-(12) Denver Broncos (9-8) - The Broncos proved how wrong I could be, I know Mendenhall was out and Ben was not 100% but hey that's football and the Broncos won fair and square. Tim Tebow showed balls this game, pure brass balls as he threw 3-4 passes over 50 yards, 2 of them for touchdowns and showed he can do more than run and throw short slant routes. The dude can throw the long ball and with the Patriots past 2 years of one and done, Tim Tebow has a shot to beat them! I am picking Pats, but Tebow has a shot!
6-(11) Houston Texans (11-6) - The Texans proved that their defense is good enough to do it without Schaub. I also have a huge respect for T.J. Yates, the 3rd stringer looked pretty damn good against an average Bengals defense. If Flacco has a bad day Sunday and the Texans are able to produce a couple turnovers, do not count them out.
5-(8) New York Giants (10-7) - The Giants have the offense and the defense to upset the Packers and shock the world, they did it to the Patriots in 2007 and they have the skill set to upset the overall Super Bowl favorite this year as well. The Packers have been playing below average lately and with the way this season has gone, who knows what to expect in this matchup of 2 high powered offenses and 2 of the top 5 QB's this season. Yes I said it Eli is a top 5 QB, I know it sucks!
4-(4) Baltimore Ravens (12-4) - The Ravens have a shot to be upset by the Texans this week, I still pick Ravens to win, but Yates is looking good stepping in for Schaub and the Texans defense is outstanding. Big credit goes to Wade Phillips, expect him to be a head coach somewhere once again next season.
3-(2) New Orleans Saints (14-3) - The Saints are playing outstanding and completely trashed the Lions last week, the reason I move them below the Patriots is because I feel the 49ers have a better shot to beat the Saints than the Broncos do to beat the Patriots, it's that simple but I am picking Saints over 49ers this week.
2-(3) New England Patriots (13-3) - Patriots if you let me down against the Broncos and go one and done against this team, you are a disgrace. Losing to Giants, Ravens and Jets back to back to back in the playoffs is forgivable if you end Tebowmania, if you don't I am just about done with you.
1-(1) Green Bay Packers (15-1) - I had a hard time ranking the Packers number 1 this week with the upset bound Giants coming to town, but until someone beats Aaron Rodgers besides a fluky Kyle Orton and the Chiefs in a pointless game, they stay here and are still my Super Bowl favorites this year!
Comment on this article and have your comment posted to the site:
ITS THAT TIME OF YEAR! Down to 12 teams and we are ready for Wild Card Weekend Next week with a great slate of NFL games. BTW what a last week of the season, every game but 3 games meant something! With that being said the games this week our listed below along with the 12 teams ranked 12 to 1, 1 being the team with the best chance to bring home the Vince Lombardi Trophy!
Sat Jan 7th 4:30pm/et
Cincinnati Bengals @ Houston Texans
Sat Jan 7th 8:00pm/et
Detroit Lions @ New Orleans Saints
Sun Jan 8th 1:00pm/et
Atlanta Falcons @ New York Giants
Sun Jan 8th 4:00pm/et
Pittsburgh Steelers @ Denver Broncos
Byes: New England Patriots, Baltimore Ravens, S.F. 49ers, Green Bay Packers
POST SEASON POWER RANKINGS
12) Denver Broncos (8-8) - Tim Tebow has been revealed for what he truly is, an average Running Back at the Q.B. position, their is no way I can see the Broncos beating the Steelers in the 1st Round therefore they are ranked last.
11) Houston Texans (10-6) - The Texans have a good shot to upset the Bengals in the first round but after that, not to much of a chance at anything with T.J. Yates as their starting QB because Schaub is down, but look out next year.
10) Detroit Lions (10-6) - If the Saints do not make the Lions one and done this week and they pull what they did last year against the Seahawks, I am going to start calling Drew Brees the Lebron of the NFL, this should be an easy Saints win, Stafford and the gang will keep it close, but don't expect much.
9) Cincinnati Bengals (9-7) - The Bengals have an interesting scenario, they have a Matt Schaubless Texans squad in the first round then could end up with a defenseless Patriots, the Bengals could upset their way to the AFC Championship, but if they make it to New England, I am picking Pats! A great season by the most surprising team of the year in the rookie QB led Bengals.
8) New York Giants (9-7) - I may even pick the Giants to beat the Falcons in the first round, but the Giants are way too much of a shaky team against good opponents to rank them any higher than this.
7) Atlanta Falcons (10-6) - The Falcons have had a questionable year, they started terrible and really turned things arounds especially once Julio Jones got back, beating the Giants will be no easy task however as I think this is an even matchup and both these teams match up well against each other on both sides of the ball.
6) Pittsburgh Steelers (12-4) - No one knows how healthy Big Ben actually is and Rashard Mendenhall may have a torn ACL, this could cost the Steelers dearly, I expect them to get past Denver, but to beat New England again this year with those offensive injuries would really take a lot of luck or New England sleeping defensively.
5) S.F. 49ers (13-3) - The 49ers have arguably the best defense in the league at this current time, but with an unreliable Alex Smith and a very good but stoppable Frank Gore, if they meet a team like the Saints or Giants next round, it could be upset city in San Francisco. Also one other relevant point to make look at the teams that have won Super Bowls the past few years, Packers, Saints, Steelers, Colts, all have great QB's, Alex Smith is not in that category.
4) Baltimore Ravens (12-4) - The success of the Ravens will completely bank on what kind of Joe Flacco plays, will it be the kind that throws countless interceptions and miss fires 50% of his passes or will he be sharp and hit his targets, defensively they are fine, but offensively they have many questions with Flacco as their Q.B.
3) New England Patriots (13-3) - The Patriots have the best offense in the A.F.C. and could have an easy road to the Super Bowl with the 1 seed and home field locked up and the fact they may play the Bengals in the first round, but if the Patriots struggle defensively like they have all season and they end up with the Steelers next week, an upset is very possible.
2) New Orleans Saints (13-3) - In my opinion, the Saints are the only team besides the Patriots that could keep up scoring wise with the Packers, Drew Brees has played outstanding this year and I will not rule the Saints out of a matchup with Green Bay in the NFC championship pending they don't lose to someone ridiculous as they did in the playoffs last year to the 8 and 8 Seahawks.
1) Green Bay Packers (15-1) - Matt Flynn threw 6 touchdowns last week and the Green Bay Packer B Squad beat the Detroit Lions who were playing for a higher seed, I can't wait to see what the A Squad does in the playoffs, repeat more than likely in Cheesehead City!
There you have it folks, these will change next week, enjoy the NFL and read Craig's article below this one on what the Red Sox need to do as we are only 2 months or so away from Spring Training!
Comment on this article and have your comment posted to the site:
Here are the Tom Nappi Week 17 NFL Power Rankings, (#) - Last Week
Ok so last week of the NFL season this Sunday and some teams are not playing for real, these power rankings are to inform you of what to expect in week 17 for wagering or fantasy purposes for the stupid leagues that have week 17 championships and let you know who the best and worst teams are in the league!
Teams still alive for Playoffs (NFC) - Dallas, New York Giants,
Teams In Playoffs (NFC) - Green Bay, New Orleans, San Francisco, Detroit, Atlanta
Teams still alive for Playoffs (AFC) - Jets, Bengals, Titans, Oakland, Chargers, Denver
Teams In Playoffs (AFC) - New England, Pittsburgh, Baltimore, Houston
32-(31) St. Louis Rams (2-13) - May be in the hunt for Andrew Luck next year since the Colts decided to win the past 2 weeks.
31-(32) Indianapolis Colts (2-13) - Well Colts won 2 weeks in a row that is quite impressive and about time, they battle the Jaguars next week, question is will they tank the game to retain the first pick in the 2012 NFL draft.
30-(30) Tampa Bay Buccaneers (4-11) - The Bucs went from an almost playoff contender last year to losing 9 in a row last year, expect the Bucs to play in week 17 and try to ruin the Falcons shot at a home playoff game.
29-(26) Minnesota Vikings (3-12) - Adrian Peterson is done for the season with a torn ACL and MCL in his knee, trust me that injury kills. With Christian Ponder also out with a concussion prepare for the Vikings to play a bunch of backups and take an easy in their last game of the year against the Bears.
28-(28) Cleveland Browns (4-11) - Peyton Hillis is back, but that does not change a thing, expect the Browns to play their starters against division rival Steelers next week just to try to upset them and keep them from a bye week in the playoffs to piss them off.
27-(27) Jacksonville Jaguars (4-11) - Jags will only beat the Colts in week 17 if the Colts throw the game to keep the number 1 pick in the draft and knowing Bill Polian, that is pretty likely.
26-(22) Chicago Bears (7-8) - No longer a threat to anyone after being eliminated from the playoffs and playing the lowly Vikings next week, expect starters to play at least a half however, but don't bank on it, the Bears could be going for draft position.
25-(24) Washington Redskins (5-10) - Redskins will most likely give their all just to beat division rival Philadelphia Eagles next week, Eagles were eliminated from playoff contention since the Giants and Cowboys won their games.
24-(20) Philadelphia Eagles (7-8) - The Dream team is officially done and are no threat to anyone as they play the Redskins next week. Expect starters to play so Andy Reid can at least finish 8 and 8 in a thin attempt for him to keep his job.
23-(17) Arizona Cardinals (7-8) - Nice run at the end of the season, but too little to late, they have a pointless game with the Seahawks next week, expect starters to play most of the game for pride and because it is a hated division rival. Look out for the Cardinals next year!
22-(16) Seattle Seahawks (7-8) - Same scenario as the Cardinals, they will play for pride and to try to beat a division rivals in the Arizona Cardinals but to little to late for the Hawks. Look out for Pete Carroll and the gang next year however, Marshawn Lynch is stupid good.
21-(23) Carolina Panthers (6-9) - Expect the Panthers to throw Cam Newton and everything else they have out next week against the Saints, as they will play their hearts out to finish 7-9 and try to upset Saints playoff bye week hopes. Panthers will be a contender next year!
20-(29) Buffalo Bills (6-9) - Bills will play hard next week to finish 7-9 and see what improvements they need to make next year, they will also try to stop the Patriots from having home field advantage throughout the AFC playoffs. Bills will throw their whole arsenal on the field.
19-(18) Kansas City Chiefs (6-9) - Chiefs are the only team in the AFC west eliminated from playoff contention but they will not hold back one bit as they can officially end Tebow mania by beating the Broncos to keep them from the playoffs. Cheifs will be much better next year and should keep Romeo Crennel as the head coach.
18-(25) Miami Dolphins (5-10) - If you think for one second the Dolphins will sit anyone with a chance to keep the Jets from the playoffs.....Think Again!
17-(21) Oakland Raiders (8-7) - A do or die matchup with the Chargers next week, the Raiders will also need the Broncos to lose to the Chiefs, in either case they do still have a small shot at the playoffs as long as they get a win.
16-(14) S.D. Chargers (7-8) - The Chargers need to beat the Raiders this week to have any hope at making the playoffs, they also need the Broncos to lose, if those 2 things happen the Chargers who lost 6 in a row at one point this season will win the AFC West.
15-(19) Tennessee Titans (8-7) - The Titans need to beat the Texans this week who are pretty much playing for nothing as they have already clinched a playoff spot but have a small shot at clinching a bye or home field in the 1st round if the Ravens or Steelers lose. For the Titans to make the playoffs, they also need the Jets to lose to the Dolphins and they will need Oakland to lose to the Chargers.
14-(11) New York Jets (8-7) - After a stinker last week against the Giants, the Jets need to beat the Dolphins which will not be easy and will need the Titans to lose to the Texans.
13-(15) Cincinnati Bengals (9-6) The Bengals control their own destiny after hanging on to beat the Cardinals last week. Bengals still must beat the Ravens who are playing to clinch the North and a 1st round bye, if the Bengals lose however they will still get in if either the Jets or Titans lose.
12-(8) Dallas Cowboys (8-7) - Last weeks loss did not matter either way the Cowboys must beat the Giants next week to make the playoffs win or go home.
11-(13) New York Giants (8-7) - Eli Manning looked extremely good against the Jets last week but win or go home against the Cowboys in Week 17.
10-(9) Denver Broncos (8-7) - Pretty simple concept beat the Chiefs or go home, they own no tiebreakers in the West and if they lose the winner of the Chargers-Raiders game wins the AFC West. Although Eliminated Chiefs will bring it! Tim Tebow can't absolutely suck as he did against the Buffalo Bills last week.
9-(12) Detroit Lions (10-5) - The Lions clinched their first playoff birth since 1999 after crushing the Chargers last week and will not be fighting for much this week against the Packers 2nd team because they will not know who they are playing in the first round until the results of the Saints and 49ers game is in, but they will most likely play to win because the Lions hate the Packers and a win gives them a better chance to meet up with Giants or Cowboys in the 1st round.
8-(10) Houston Texans (10-5) - Texans did win the AFC South and still have a shot at a first round bye if both the Ravens and Steelers somehow lose, but the Texans must beat the Titans who are fighting for a playoff spot and looked disgraceful offensively losing to the Colts last week. One and Done!
7-(6) Atlanta Falcons (9-6) - Falcons are in the playoffs and will most likely try to beat the Bucs to secure a 1st round game against an easy team, but may not try too much as a Lions win is expected against the Packers who are playing for absolutely nothing in week 17.
6-(7) S.F. 49ers (12-3) - The 49ers will bring it against the Rams next week but don't overestimate this game, division games are always upset bound. 49ers must win for a first round bye in the playoffs.
5-(4) New England Patriots (12-3) - The Patriots will be playing to win against the Bills next week because if they lose and the Steelers clinch the AFC north, the Pats will not have the #1 seed and with their awful defense home field is vital throughout the playoffs.
4-(5) Baltimore Ravens (11-4) - Flacco continues to look bad and the Ravens must beat a playoff hungry Bengals to clinch the AFC North and a bye week in the playoffs unless the Steelers somehow lose to the Browns next week. With the AFC as weak as it is, the Ravens do have a chance to head to the Super Bowl however.
3-(3) Pittsburgh Steelers (11-4) - If Steelers beat the Browns and the Ravens lose to the Bengals, The Steelers clinch home field advantage and a bye week in the playoffs, this scenario is very possible as Bengals are playing for playoff birth and the Browns suck. Big Ben should be back next week so expect the overall best team in the AFC in my unbiased opinion to play to win!
2-(2) New Orleans Saints (12-3) - Really starting to make the case to be ranked number 1 after they man-handeled the Falcons on Monday Night Football. Congratulations to Drew Brees for breaking the all time regular season passing yards record. The Saints will be playing for a win next week against a tough Panthers offense as they need the win to contend with the 49ers for a 1st round bye week in the playoffs and home field advantage in the NFC against everyone but the Packers.
1-(1) Green Bay Packers (14-1) - They put a beating to the Bears on Sunday Night Football this week so they are playing for nothing and could bench all their starters if they choose, starting any Packer on your fantasy team this week for the ridiculously stupid fantasy leagues that have week 17 championships is risky. They may have the starters out for the first half because they would love to upset the Lions but will most likely bench most starters to play it safe. Packers are still my favorite for the Super Bowl. Mike McCarthy could be the next Vince Lombardi....If you say the last sentence of this paragraph, it rhymes!
Also tune into a vitally important edition of the Sports Blast this Thursday as we break down all playoff scenarios and pick what we think is going to happen!
Lastly Happy Holidays, Merry Christmas and Happy New Year from everyone at the Massachusetts Sports and Entertainment Network. Playoff Power Rankings will be posted after Week 17....Enjoy the Final Weeks of NFL This Season :/
In the winter baseball meetings the Miami Marlins signed SS Jose Reyes to a 6 year $106 Million dollar deal.
The Miami Marlins have also signed Closer Heath Bell to a deal close to 3 years $27,000,000
The Miami Marlins also signed Pitcher Mark Buehrle to a 4 year $58,000,000 deal.
The Marlins are also in the running along with many other teams for 1B Prince Fielder
The Miami Marlins have not only changed there uniforms but apparently have raised there payroll signifgantly.
The Biggest signing of the Baseball winter meetings up to this point however is a 10 year deal close to $250 million dollers to Albert Pujols to send him to the Los Angeles Angels. The Marlins and Cardinals were also one of the teams in the running for Pujols, but in the end he will join the Angels in the AL West.
The Angels also signed starting pitcher C.J. Wilson. Wilson went 16 and 7 for the A.L. Champ Texas Rangers Last Year.
Also the average baseball salary has raised 2.7% to 3.1 Million Dollars for the 2012 season
Thursday Night Football: Pittsburgh Steelers - 14 Cleveland Browns - 3
Ben Roethlisberger left the game with a ankle injury in the 2nd quarter but came back into the game and threw for 280 yards, 2 touchdowns and 1 interception overall in the Steelers win!
A deal that would have sent Chris Paul to the Lakers is nixed by NBA Commissioner Dave Stern as Hornets must find new owner before deal can be done!
Boston Bruins lose 2nd straight game as they fall to the Florida Panthers 2-0, after Tyler Seguin being suspended for Tuesdays loss to the Winnipeg Jets, is there cause for concern, keep it locked to MSEN Radio to find out!